Thursday, June 21, 2007

Beating a Kenyan in a Race

This week has been rather uneventful. The weather has been amazing, as it really never gets too hot here. It reminds me of the period of time when all the girls Pitt has to offer decide to start dressing up and lying out even though it's only like 70 degrees. The only difference is that here all of the people are wearing winter jackets...it’s a bizarro Pittsburgh! My friends from UNC are out living with the Bushmen and we've been stuck in repetitive lectures the entire week. Most of them have talked about the same thing as our textbooks (to sum up: the country of Botswana is screwed), although one WHO doctor was really interesting. He agreed with me on the fact that all HIV positive people should be quarantined and testing should be mandatory for everyone, but we disagreed on the fact that a cure is coming. I think I'll thank him in my Nobel Prize speech.

Today, all of the organizations we could work for presented to us. It wasn't looking too good for me as all of them were counseling or human rights things, which I'm not really in to and I thought I was going to spending quite a bit of time in the Harvard Research Lab. Then the Botswana Council of Churches presented and blew me away! They work in prevention, supporting orphans, and in providing medical care to those with HIV. Plus, spending three weeks with a Council of Churches can’t hurt my standing with God. So now everyone gets to hear about my adventures with BCC for the next three weeks! Stay tuned.

Finally, I beat a Kenyan and a Batswana in a race. I've been playing soccer with a large group and after a pick up game one day, the Kenyan decided to challenge me to a race. Bad idea. Although I may have pulled a Jerry Seinfeld, for one day at least, I returned to the glory of my high school days, and pulled out a definitive victory. After the race while the others made fun of the Kenyan and Batswana for losing to me, I looked around for an American flag to run around the track with. Unfortunately, there wasn't one available. Oh well, maybe next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim I know there is something to the race story that you are leaving out. Was the Kenyan a 6 year old girl? Or did they perhaps have a physical disability? I need more details on this so called "Kenyan" you beat.